Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Letting Go

“The best way to live is to be like water, for water benefits all things and goes against none of them.”

~ Verse 8 of the Tao Te Ching

 

The events of today have made me realize that I am still very much attached to my beliefs.  When they are questioned, I rationalize them.  When they are challenged, I defend them.  When they are ignored, I cling to them all the more.  When someone does not believe as I do, I attribute it to ignorance or folly.  And I do so without ever seeing my own pride.

 

So it struck me as rather hypocritical to claim to have an open mind and yet be judgmental towards those who do not have an open mind in the same way that I do.  Who am I to judge?  I claim to be open-minded and yet reserve my judgment for those who do not question the source of their beliefs, or who disregard the poor and needy, or who are drawn to materialism and the race to have the next best gadget on the market.  And yet these same people are more than these things; they may have valid opinions and beliefs that I can learn from, ideas that will broaden my own worldview…  but I write them off because their attitudes do not match my own.

 

When did I become so arrogant?

 

The Tao says, “The Sage puts his own views behind, so ends up ahead.”  In order to accept all people – to be truly and genuinely open-minded – I need to let go of my beliefs and all those things that I use to define myself, to make myself appear different from everyone else.  I have fallen into the trap of seeking identity in division; I have become so enamored with the idea of social revolution that I view anyone who opposes me with contempt; I have been attempting to impose my will on the universe even as I speak of embracing the uncertainty of nature and destiny.

 

So now I need to unlearn my beliefs – or what I believe are my beliefs.  I have to let go of my preconceived notions of what I think is Truth.  I have to let go of the very concept of my self, so that there can be no attachments and nothing to attain – only clear sight and a life lived in accordance with the nature of things, moving in harmony with the present moment, always knowing the truth of just what to do.

 

There must be no I.  Only that which is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They aren't wrong, just different.

Such a simple quote, but with such ramifications for thought processes.

Anonymous said...

You would likely be interested in Terry Goodkinds "Faith of the Fallen". Here's a quote

"The first law of reason is that what exists, exists; what is, is, and from that irreducible, bedrock principle, all knowledge is built. That is the foundation from which life is embraced. Thinking is a choice, and that wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discover them. Reason is our only way of grasping reality, it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking - to reject reason - but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

The Storyteller said...

Interesting quote. Where does intuition come into play, though? I'm not entirely convinced that reason is the only way of grasping reality...

Anonymous said...

Intuition though is a form of reason, though. You sense how something works, due to circumstances in the past in which something worked in a similiar nature. Or, intuition could lead you to a reasoned examination of something.

To me, intuition is a step within a reasoned faculty. There is certainly room for intuition within reason.

The Storyteller said...

I like your perspective. I'm still not sure if I see it the same way, but that could be due to a difference in definitions (or 'merely semantics,' as Baravis might say) or a difference in how we actually perceive things intuitively. I get the feeling that my intuitions are sensed in a different manner than yours - but it is nevertheless worth a deeper look. Thanks for your insight!