Saturday, June 14, 2008

Through a Glass Darkly

The thought occurs to me that God – or, at least, my concept of God – is the single entity that knows more of the absolute Truth of the cosmos than any other creature that has existed or ever will exist.

 

We are limited by our perception.  We cannot see the Truth of the cosmos directly, but instead perceive it through filters that allow us to make sense of the world around us.  Relativity is born of the differences in perception from one individual to another.  If we could begin to remove those filters, we would see more and more of the Truth free of our interpretation and misunderstanding; we would know what is really there.  We would know what is.

 

My understanding of God is the entity that can see the Truth with unfiltered perception.

 

But if there are no filters between what is being observed and the observer, if the Truth is not being observed at all but truly known, then there cannot be any separation of the two.  Any distance – physical or metaphorical – introduces uncertainty, the possibility of misunderstanding.  So for the Truth to be known, the observer and the observed must merge into one.  Thus God becomes an entity that does not merely see Truth with perfect clarity, but is itself Truth.

 

The entity that is God is separate and distinct from the Truth and yet is one with Truth at the same time.  As a being that is one with the Truth, God must then be aware of everything that is a part of the harmony and balance of the cosmos; and as a being that is distinct from the Truth, God must be the only being that can follow the Tao perfectly, walking the Way that cannot be walked. 

 

Perhaps this also makes God one with the Tao as well.

 

Perhaps God is the entity that is the Way and is the Truth.

 

And perhaps I am completely mistaken.  For I am a finite being attempting to understand infinite things, perceiving them as though I am looking through a dark, smoke-stained window.  I can only look forward to the day that the window is opened and I can see clearly that which I devote my life to. 

 

Oh, that I might hasten that day.

No comments: